Thursday, May 21, 2009

Chiles Rellenos Guatemalan Style





Yesterday I finished the chile rellenos I bought in RI over the weekend. See the picture above? Those are my HOT jalapeno chile rellenos! Down there, the bakeries and stores sell hot food such as tamales, chiles rellenos, tacos and pupusas on the weekends. My son is enjoying the last of his tamales as well-every weekend when we lived there I'd get up a bit early that Saturday and go to the Guatemalan bakery and get my chiles rellenos, tamales and a couple of pieces of tres leches cake with strawberries and feast on the goodies all day. (it saved me from cooking and for me, a blonde gringa who burns a TV dinner-it was far better to have me buy them than try to make them!)

We can still buy pupusas here, although we need to travel about an hour and a half each way to Portland, Maine's largest city to get to a restaurant called Tu Casa which has food from El Salvador. They also have tamales that are very similar to Guatemalan tamales-which are traditionally bigger than the Mexican tamales that many of you have probably seen around. Lucky for me, I can get authentic Mexican food here at a restaurant called Cancun, which opened a little over a year ago. So when hubby and I are craving tacos made from carne asada, carnitas, etc... we head over to see Hector the owner and the friendly Mexican waiters/cooks. It's a pretty popular place, we went there last Friday night and the weather was perfect for outdoor seating (as you can see by the pic above) and the Mariachis had arrived and hubby and his friends Joao and Manuel were making those poor guys sing almost all night! Not to mention-the frozen strawberry margaritas are to die for! lol.

I've gotta say, Mexican/Guatemalan food are my favorite "ethnic" eats, followed by Chinese and Italian. I'm looking to expand my foodie experience and try other things as well, (which is probably in conjunction with expanding my waistline, ugh!) any recommmendations on a dish you love that I should try? C'mon people-spill the frijoles and tell me what you love to eat-because I wanna try it!

2 comments:

areyoukiddingme said...

Thai food is awesome - spicy, but so many subtle flavors. Yummy.

Other than that, I'm a big fan of Italian and Chinese - and oddly, the best Chinese food I've ever had was in Italy! I'm not quite as big a fan of the Mexican food, but they do have some good flavors. I just don't like cilantro - which means Indian food is out too.

Unknown said...

You like Mexican foods that's nice and that is ethnic foods and thanks for sharing your taste with us!!!
Carol
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices