Sunday, July 19, 2009

Belfast, Maine-Lobster and Penobscot Bay






Well, I wanted to see the ocean, so I went. It was a perfect day, lots of people out on the water and lots of lobster eating going on too!

We traveled along Rte. 1 in Camden, where there was a huge Antique fest going on and then down into the Belfast and Searsport areas. A visit to the Maine coast isn't complete without seafood: and lobster was the catch of the day. My dad's favorite place to go was Young's-they have HUGE holding tanks with fresh lobster and it was neat watching the cooked lobsters and corn on the cob and clams served to you in a nylon mesh type bag-fresh from the boiling water. Since I don't eat lobster (yikes!) and Deja freaks out with anything that have antennae, we got the hotdog plate and some ears of corn. Now I wish they had had fried Maine Native Shrimp or Fried Clams, but this place is strictly lobster, chowder, steamed clams, etc...

After Young's, we headed to the local state park and made our way down to the water. The tide was out and we were able to find lots of sea life such as live crabs underneath rocks and in the small pools left behind. It was pretty rocky, so after doing some exploring and picking up some shells we headed back to the bench to relax. I saw some pretty pink flowers near the walkway down to the beach and snapped a photo-I thought it would look good blown up as a 5x7 or 8x10 on my wall someplace in the house. After relaxing a bit under the cool sea breezes, we headed to our friend's house for a cookout-Deja had fun making friends with their parakeets (whose Brazilian names I can't pronounce or even spell! lol) It's almost 9pm and I just got home and figured I would upload these pics to share and then do some laundry. Hope you all had a great Sunday too!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Looks like you all had a great day at the coast, Michele! Wonderful pictures too! Thanks for sharing!