Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 15th, 44 years ago....


I used to remember when I was excited to have a birthday. I would anxiously count all the candles and blow them out while happily declaring that I was another year older. I think I stopped doing that when I turned 10. Seriously.

Sure, 18 and 21 were exciting-old enough to vote and old enough to drink. But at 44 candles, I'd need a super sized cake and sure as hell need an infusion of hot air just to blow those candles out all by myself. I strain myself now just blowing out one regular candle, and knowing my son, he'd fill up my cake with those trick candles so I'd huff and I'd puff, and then probably pass out from lack of oxygen and over-exerting myself.

However I have taken the day off in the hopes that I would be able to relax. Not so. I just discovered that my drivers license also expires that day. So now I will spend a good part of the day in DMV hell while waiting to get my license renewed. Top that off with a bad hair day and lack of a cut and color until my next payday on the 22nd and that is the icing on the cake. (not to mention the bad photo I will have to look at for the next 6 years.)

So my birthday is going to be a busy one, as I check out the local Asian buffet for the "free meal on your birthday" deal and possibly the local cinema for the free movie as well. Hubby will be home by then...but probably working since he's had so much time off. Maybe I will be blogging, or drowning my sorrows with a nice cold Diet Coke, as I search for new wrinkles in the mirror and research the latest potion online that promises the Fountain of Youth and to keep me well preserved into my senior years. (or at least looking pretty damn hot by the time I get into the nursing home.) In the meantime, enjoy your week people and keep those in Haiti in your thoughts after today's terrible earthquake that has devastated their country.

6 comments:

Leslie M. said...

Happy Birthday friend!! XOXOXO
Love you Momma!
Leslie
LeslieVeg@msn.com
http://www.leslielovesveggies.net/

Petit Coterie said...

Happy Birthday Michele!! Love your blog, you are so funny! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a post. I hope you will stop by again.

Michelle

Vicki/Jake said...

Hi Michele...And Happy Birthday..late! I've been in a bit on a slump since Thursday but hey, gotta get on with it, huh! So I'm finally getting caught up on blogs. I hope you had a fun one and got to use your new plate! Look for an email too (O:
Take care and enjoy being who you are!

w said...

if i had known you were interested in "youthful" foundations, i would've sent you some elixir to help you out. it's called vodka. chug a bottle and all your worries go away.

hope you had a great birthday!

Just A Normal Mom said...

I hate to say it, but I hate birthdays! They've totally lost their appeal. Do they ever get good again? Like when we turn 95 - hey look! I made it another year! Yay!
***Ally

Chatty Cat's said...

Hi Michelle! I feel your pain...I was 50 yesterday! Talk about loading a cake up! The fire department was standing by. But, look at it this way..."Do not despair about growing old. It is a privilege few receive"...consider the alternative! haha.

Cat
Chatty Cat's