Friday, April 9, 2010

Earth Day-Let's Make a Difference!


Over this past weekend I watched 2012 after getting it in the mail from my Netflix subscription... Now, I don't know about the rest of you, but considering all these strong earthquakes we are having lately I'm beginning to think Earth Crust Displacement theory is not so nutty after all.

Mother Nature is apparently none to happy with us right now-given the way we've been treating Mother Earth with pesticides, drilling, testing of weapons, pollution, etc... it's no wonder our planet isn't blowing off a little steam. (so much so that 200 year dormant volcanoes in Iceland of all places are erupting)

These subtle and not-so-subtle changes going on today really have me worried about our planet and its future. Maybe the Mayans weren't wrong, after all. Sure, it could be we're facing a total planet wide extinction or perhaps the world changing as we currently know it. Look at all the preparations for Y2K a few years back, and nothing came out of it. I guess we won't really know until the time comes.

Our resources are slowly dwindling, oil, water, clean air, crops needed to feed us-all play a part in our everyday life that we often take for granted. I'm a pretty big Sci-Fi fan, and doomsday movies or futuristic movies (Waterworld, The Postman, The Day After Tomorrow, Escape from New York etc...) pretty much show what could someday happen to the world as we know it. It's a scary thought, but one that needs to be addressed.

The debate continues about global warming, and global cooling. How our poles are going to shift or perhaps an asteroid is going to hit us in several years- and in the meantime, nations can't get along and violence has become a way of life in our society. Earth Day is coming up soon, and I do hope that there will be more awareness of the need to protect our planet from man made effects. Sure, we can't protect it from an asteroid strike, but we CAN reduce our use of chemicals, pesticides, plastic, paper, etc... In doing so, we can make our planet safer for our children's children and beyond. Technology and convenience are wonderful, but as I got older I saw the price we are now paying for these things. I'm not living a 100% green lifestyle, but I do try to incorporate living green into the way I do things. If it means using reusable bags at the market, recycling paper and plastic, composting and gardening, canning, etc... all things I have done or want to improve on.

Take the time to sit down and figure out what you can do-it might be something as simple as carpooling to work to save on gas and reduce your carbon footprint. It may be finding another use for that tire you were going to toss out. (heck, make it a planter in the garden!) All the little things DO make a difference. And those changes in the way we do things will hopefully make a positive change and affect those generations to come. We've got the whole world in our hands, let's make a difference!

1 comment:

Vicki/Jake said...

Been away in transition and this will be the last comment till I get the computer hooked up again...
Guess my input is that I'll be able to walk to work at my new job compared to driving 30 miles to and from each day at the last job..
Try not to give yourself ulcers now...hehe.
See ya again soon