Wednesday, March 10, 2010

When Eating Makes You Sick...

Ok people... I am starting to get a little frustrated with all these food recalls going around lately. I mean, it is just not safe to eat anything anymore I guess.

My daughter has been feeling really funky lately, and not in a good way. She was sick 3 days last week with some sort of virus (or so they say) then she was fine for a few days, spent Sunday puking her guts out, was fine Monday, spent Tuesday home on the toilet and now says her belly just feels so-so.

I happened to be watching the news and caught wind of the latest recall, this time a huge one with a lot of products that we actually eat here at home. (we eat out a lot too, and I am beginning to suspect that some of our restaurants we frequent also used this Salmonella loaded crap) It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 2 + 2 together and figure out that when your whole family is sick all week and still not feeling 100% perfect, then there is something going on that we need to investigate further.

Lately, Pepto-Bismol has been a staple in our home. If I never have to drink the pink stuff again that would be fine by me. Gas has also become an issue for all of us. I can also say that I now know the definition of "natural gas". And it isn't pretty. In this past week I've heard the sound of rumbling bellies and loud, forceful farting-definitely strong enough to rival any major eruption but the only Ring of Fire we've got going on here is white and porcelain...

It really amazes me that all these foods are contaminated, or at least suspected to be. And how a company that knew their product WAS contaminated continued to ship it out to unsuspecting buyers and consumers. I seriously hope somebody throws the book at them for their complete and utter negligence. And if that doesn't work, maybe someone with Salmonella from their products can throw the contents of THEIR toilet at those responsible.

I've gone through my freezer and thrown out items that looked suspicious, or were from companies that announced they were recalling their items. Next, I going to check out the mixes, snacks and other items I have in the cupboards. And I am going to keep a food diary, and write down what each person has been eating daily. That way, if they end up sick a few days later I have an idea of what foods have been eaten. It's more work, but someone has to do it :)

Make sure that you all check out the list too, and keep your eyes open for newer items being recalled too. In the meantime, stay safe!

1 comment:

Expat Mom said...

Scary stuff! I've had both salmonella and E. coli, both from eating food that was improperly prepared. Kind of makes you take a closer look at the whole "real food" movement, doesn't it! I don't have time to soak grains and all that, but it makes sense to get as basic as possible to avoid problems like this!