Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Experience with Food Poisoning...

On Monday, my family and I decided to get some Chinese food from a local new restaurant (which shall remain nameless lol). Hubby and I had eaten from there before, and never had a problem. Until Monday that is...

We ordered ham fried rice, chicken fingers and crab rangoons. After persuading my daughter to try the rice and chicken fingers, since she really doesn't like Chinese food-I was happy to finally get her to try something new.

We ate around 5:30 and I was tired and not feeling well shortly after, and took a nap, waking around 8 pm or so. My daughter had also joined us on the bed and was watching TV. Daddy got up to go to work around 9:30-I had woken up but really couldn't move very far from the bed, my stomach hurt, my head hurt and I felt somewhat disoriented.

I told my hubby that I wasn't feeling well, and he chastised me for eating too much at supper... little did he know what was going to happen later on that night. Shortly after 10 pm he was gone, my daughter was sound asleep, and I was in pain-gut wrenching, agonizing pain in my stomach. This was no ordinary bellyache from eating too much, that I DID know.

As the hours went by the pain was worse, and was accompanied by power puking. My whole body hurt from puking so hard, and when I thought it could get no worse, on came the watery diarrhea with a vengeance. Around midnight, I noticed my daughter thrashing on the bed next to me, she was awake and holding her belly.

I knew what was next. And I was right. I ran into the kitchen for a second pail to puke in (it came so fast we could barely make it to the bathroom, so the pails were there just in case...) For the next few hours, we both took turns running to the bathroom pail in hand, in agonizing pain. Lucky for her, I had gotten a few samples awhile back of those disposable undies that kids who wet the bed wear, and though she didn't want to wear them-they came in handy when her diarrhea kicked in.

I called hubby to see how he was doing... after all, he'd eaten it as well. He seemed surprised, but said that he had an odd butterfly like feeling in his tummy but so far, no problem. As I write this, he still doesn't have a problem-one I attribute to his cast iron stomach and being Central American he can tolerate a lot more than I can stomach wise as evidenced by last years trip to Guatemala and his not getting sick eating from street vendors.

He arrived around 3 am, and by 6 am my daughter and I were begging to go to the hospital. We both ended up in the ER yesterday morning with food poisoning. Something to do with the eggs in the fried rice not being cooked thoroughly... ugh, when the doctor told us the diarrhea could last for up to 2 weeks I was not thrilled. There is absolutely NO CONTROL whatsoever and I am seriously not liking the fact that I may need to wear Depends until this settles... We did get meds for it, along with meds for the muscle spasms and I am watching to make sure we don't dehydrate as well.

I used to eat out a lot-but now may be eating more at home. At least I know how my food is prepared, and that I have cooked it long enough. As I write this, my head is pounding, and I've already failed to make it to the bathroom once. :( I am heading back to bed in a few... all these meds have made me exhausted and sleepy. I will be picking the winner of my giveaway later this evening or tomorrow-

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Oh no...I hope you feel better soon...